About Me

My photo
A simple guy who loves family, friends and enjoys community of all kinds. I hope my experiences and perspectives on life may offer others some value. You are not an accident. You were created with a destiny. Discover it. Live it. The world needs it. The dash is what you do with what you have been given. The dash is yours and mine.

Sunday, August 19, 2012

"The Dash"; My Voice, One Year Later

  It's been one year since my first blog post. I can't believe how fast the time has gone. Since "The Dash" began August 20, 2011, so many things have changed. Relationships have been formed, community has been enriched and I am a different person than I was when I published my first post. I have experienced success and failure. I have had great moments and tough times. I am no different than you. My family and I have grown closer and as a result our core strengthened. I have published 29 posts during this time. I didn't really have a set number of posts in mind when I created "The Dash" but chose topics personal to me and my life. It's hard to believe but I look back favorably and have seen how the blog has really helped me grow. I have never been one to shy away from telling it like it is or at least telling people what I think. This blog is my voice uncensored and straight from the heart. I don't think I know any other way. Maybe you like my style and maybe you don't. Either way it's okay. However, I am excited about the year to come. I want to take it to another level. There is no other option.

  I have done the blog in different ways. I gave you my take on events, TV programs, politics, life and sports. I talked about personal success and failures. I changed things up and went to a series format. Community was a big topic as was family. I wrote about what it means to have the guts to tell people something to their face and not hide behind social media or e-mail. Everything I write I believe. Everything I write I desire to live. People often comment back to me positive stuff. I am thankful for that. People have encouraged me to keep writing and sharing what's inside. I am thankful for their words. This year has been a whirlwind in different ways personally. It has been a roller coaster of sorts. A lot of you know what trials my family and I have faced. I am sure you have faced your own. Although it was not life and death stuff of the physical nature, it sure played a role in developing me as a man, husband, dad, brother, uncle and friend. We all have them (trials). It's really just a question of what we are going to do when they occur. The blog gave me an outlet to explore and express. Trials came my way and this blog was created. It was always there. The timing was perfect.

  The one thing I love about "The Dash" is it is mine. It was born inside because of who God made me. He gets all of the credit. It was His gift to me. He created the desire in me to communicate. He has given me the tools. I am just putting them into practice. I am not a fit-into-a-box kind of person. Structure can be great but it can also suffocate life. As important as order is we must not lose spontaneity. Creativity must be encouraged. One thing most of you know is that I want to see other people become who their Creator destined them to be. However, I don't think there is a formula for it. I don't think it can be manufactured. I won't force it. I want to be original. I have my own thoughts, dreams, takes, issues, problems, joys, trials and triumphs. I think deep down inside you all do too. We all have different ways to bring it to fruition. We all have different methods and avenues in which to influence and encourage others. There is no single best way. The blog helps me keep dreaming about what's to come and help encourage others in their own pursuits. "The Dash" will forever be long after I am gone. What are you doing with yours?

  So, what's next for "The Dash". Well, I am going to keep on publishing my voice. I know I am going to continue in the format I have recently adopted. However, I want to be able to expand the reach of it. I want to extend its platform. I want to find new ways for people to get a taste. This blog is my one thing. It's part of who I am and I will do it with excellence. I once heard a quote from a movie where one person said to another, "with great power comes great responsibility." I am sure you superhero buffs out there can figure out what movie I am referring to. In any case I think this saying holds true for bloggers like me. I have the power to write really whatever I want. I can rip people six ways to Sunday and not have a care in the world. I have a choice every time I sit down to write my next post. I choose to move forward and speak the truth in a positive way. I am excited about what is to come with "The Dash". My next series will focus on success versus failure. There is much to discuss on this topic. I hope you will tune in. Thank you for your readership. Remember, it's about the dash.

No comments:

Post a Comment